July 29th

Hypocrisy is a necessary evil with leadership.

With each passing day, I realize the truth in my father’s words.

Try as I might, I make decisions that damn those for choices that I too have made. I try to rationalize decisions by declaring that there must be a boundary between one’s professional, and personal, relationships.

Carkel Malarius claims that he has a hold on Raeynn Duskrose. He told me this upon the agreement that I would arrange for his release if he delivered full cooperation with myself and the Vanguard. This naturally meant that he had to be forced to realize that such an admittance results in nothing less than harsh and swift action.

This has once again forced a rift between Mel and myself. One that I am certain we will not reconcile. There is, as there always is when my relationship with him is threatened, a part of me that wants nothing more than to assure him the wrongs will be corrected. Of course, I can’t do this. Raeynn’s welfare may be at risk, and his brother only continues to give me reasons to damn him.

I’m in a panic now. Worried for my friend. Pain in knowing that I have lost Melathanore. Guilt, even though I know that for once, I made the correct choice…

How long can I continue to do this?